Saturday, February 21, 2015

Week 6 Prompt

Week 6 Prompt:

For this week's prompt, I would like you to think of an innovative way to promote romance, gentle reads or horror at your local library (pick one, just one!). What would be most effective? A catchy display? Some passive programming? In what ways could you incorporate integrated advisory? Pretend you're pitching an idea to your boss and write at least a paragraph in your prompt response. 

When I was a teacher, I stumbled across a lesson that I always wanted to try out in my classroom but never had the chance. Speed-Booking--Just like "Speed Dating" but for books.  I intend to target Romance Novels (although this could be used for any genre or theme such as a holiday event).  Patrons are instructed to bring a Romance Novel of their choice.  This can be their favorite  book, or one that they have read recently and want to recommend.  

Speed Booking is set up just like speed dating.  The group of patrons will be divided in half--one half will remain at their seat/table while the other half rotates around the event area.  A handout will be provided for each participant so that they may record the title, author, and area for notes.  A rating system could also be devised, and patrons circle the corresponding words or symbols to record their thoughts on the book. For example: 5 Hearts- I really want to read this; 3 Hearts-Maybe/I might want to read this; 1 Heart--this doesn't interest me.  A timer will be set for 3-5 minutes--at the discretion of the facilitator.  For each "stop", the patron will quickly explain their book and why they recommend it.  This allows for an advisory activity directly from peers interested in the genre. Displays leading up to the event will incorporate images and phrases related to Speed Dating for Books.  Currently, my library has an offsite bookclub at a local winery.   Holding an event such as this at a similar location would be a great tie-in for girls-night-out.  

Personally, I love recommendations from friends and family on what to read next.  An event such as this would produce a "to-read" list that is actually helpful and targeted directly at those interested in a particular genre. 

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea! It could be used for other genres as well. Or a mixed genre. Someone may decide they want to reach out due to the recommendation of someone outside their normal read. I have had it happen to me in a couple of classes where I discover something interesting that I would not have considered before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very interesting idea for a library event that can promote readers advisory among interested patrons. My thought however would be having enough copies of the promoted books for patrons to check out and enjoy, or at least more than one available copy. With promotion and flyers this could be a very interesting and innovative event.

    ReplyDelete