Monday, April 13, 2015

Week 13 Prompt

I was a Middle School Reading teacher for 8 years, and the reason that I wanted to teach that age group is because those are the books that I love!  I loved being able to share favorite titles and create excitement for new ones to be discovered.  I kept a classroom library that included over 1000 titles.  Even though I am no longer teaching, I constantly find myself choosing YA novels.  The genre has some of the best writing, reminding the reader of what influences shape you as a person.  I am always recommending YA titles for my friends and family and consistently give YA novels as gifts. 

I work in my Circulation Department, so the only interaction that I have with patrons is when they are actually checking out their titles.  (And even then, we have gone to “self-check”, so I’m not able to interact with them as much as I would like…)  I personally do not interact with patrons when they are choosing titles to read, so I have no direct experience with negative feelings toward the genre.  The floor plan of my library does clearly separate Adults and Teens, and I wish I could see how adults do or do not venture into the YA area. 

We do have a large Graphic Novel selection for Adults, Teens, and in our Children’s Department.  Being in the Circulation Department, I can see that the titles are heavily circulated and very popular. 

My library is quite large and offers a huge collection.  The popularity of all of these genres is undeniable.  The quality of writing is also undeniable through the typical adult authors that are now writing for this genre, the prevalence on best-seller lists, and the validity from literary awards.  I would be happy to discuss the literary merits of either of these genres by providing scholarly journal information.  Webber states, “Adults who wouldn't normally go within 10 feet of any YA book will follow a librarian or bookseller anywhere. While you have their undivided attention, show them what's new, especially if you have books that appeal to older teen readers. These books help to emphasize the idea that YA spans 12- to 18-year-olds” (2009).  Sometimes, where we lead, they will follow.  An authority on recommendations can add that validity that readers are seeking. 

However, as literacy advocates, we also have to recognize limitations.  For older readers that do not want to give these genres a chance—that’s okay.  They are not the audience we are catering to.  It is more important to inspire and excite younger readers that will fully appreciate what each has to offer. 


Webber, C. (2009). What They Don’t Know Won’t Hurt Them. Publishers Weekly. Retrieved from http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/columns-and-blogs/soapbox/article/2538-what-they-don-t-know-won-t-hurt-them.html

No comments:

Post a Comment